Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lucques Ribfest #1! Sunday Supper in Los Angeles!

Ribfest #1 happened a month ago... but in honor of Ribfest #2 (8/15/2010), I thought I'd post my experience from the first showdown with meat this year at Lucques Restaurant in Los Angeles.

Photo credit: gusto.com

Lucques is a renowned restaurant, with a star chef, Suzanne Goin, who has been nominated for a James Beard Award ("the Oscar of our world" as described by the restaurant host).  Anyhow, this is how it all happened... My man and I had a Groupon to the restaurant Taste, which is located next door to Lucques (this was on a Saturday night).  I'd been dying to try Lucques, and our reservation at Taste wasn't for a few minutes... so we sauntered over to Lucques to have a look.

The host was super friendly, despite the fact that there was a full house that night.  He gave us a tour of the restaurant, and told us a little about the history of the structure.  Apparently the building was once the carriage house of silent movie star Harold Lloyd.  Probably because of its previous life as a carriage house, the restaurant is understated, with exposed brick walls and a sealed concrete floor, high ceilings and booths all around.  The patio was especially beautiful that night at dusk.  It is covered by a white canopy that can be partially open to allow sunlight or moonlight to trickle down onto diners.  During our tour, I mentioned that I had ALWAYS meant to come for Sunday supper at Lucques... and the host turns to me and says, "well, you are in LUCK!  Tomorrow night is our RIBFEST, which we only have once a year.  It's probably booked, but we can check to see if there are any cancellations."  OMGOMGOMG, I can't pass up meat!  So, we checked and sure enough, there was an opening for 2!

Unfortunately for the man, he was busy that Sunday.  But I booked it anyway, knowing that one of my carnivorous girlfriends would be sure to come with me.  So, my friend Jo came with me.  Don't be fooled by my photos.  The two of us small ladies can eat A LOT.  In fact, a few years ago at the Bellagio buffet in Las Vegas, the two of us out-ate 9 other girlfriends... 11 plates at the buffet EACH.  WOW.  With that preface- This is the text message I received from Jo when I invited her to the Ribfest meal- "SOOOOOOOOOO pumped.  This will be our Vegas buffet tribute dinner".  YES, the stage was set for an epic meal.

And, here's how it went:

Waiter in cowboy get-up seats us.  He asks "Is there anything that you would like to drink?"  We look at the menu, and Jo peers up from the menu with an expression of complete DELIGHT... and says "Can I please have the pabst blue ribbon?"  Yes... this is how you know the night is gonna go well.

Then the waiter explains to us "We'll bring two servings of each item to you, and if you want more, just ask".  AMAZING.  We were in heaven even before the food and drink arrived.

Here is Jo.  PBR in hand, and ribs, front and center
Feast: Exhibit A
Got your beef ribs, lamb ribs, pork ribs, spicy chicken, cole slaw, baked beans, collard greens, corn-on-the-cob, watermelon and lime salad, grilled cornbread & wonder bread. 

Feast: Exhibit B

Watermelon-lime salad bliss

YUM.  Rhubarb crumble.

YUMMIER (arguable): Buttermilk Ice Cream topped w/ the freshest berries

 And, there you have it, folks.  An amazing feast.  Our favorites were the BEEF ribs and the watermelon salad.  Did I mention that we got seconds of both of those items?  Or that we stayed for THREE HOURS?

YES, epic.  Please go.  Please go next month... Sunday, August 15th.  I promise, you won't regret it.  And definitely tell me all about it.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos, the food looks delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG OMG OMG. i need to be there! you're SO LUCKY you wandered over! i love girlfriends like that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photos. What a down home looking place to eat!

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Grungry Girl.
© 2010 Copyright. All Rights Reserved.