I've been occupied with finding the perfect Christmas cookie recipe... and I think I found it! I couldn't try them at the recent cookie exchange party I went on (as they weren't gluten-free), so after the rave reviews, I decided I should make them for myself! This is a mini pre-Christmas project that one of my bridesmaids and I will embark on tomorrow night!!!
|photo credit: http://web.me.com/mikejdunlap|
Mexican Chocolate Cookies!!!
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch Process cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons sweet butter, slightly softened
- 3 tablespoons stick margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Generous pinch of ground black pepper
- Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg white
- Red Sprinkles!
- Combine the flour, cocoa, soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly with a whisk. Set aside. Combine the sugars in a small bowl and mix well with fingers pressing out any lumps.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter and margarine until creamy. Add sugar mixture, cinnamon, peppers, and vanilla. Beat on high speed for about one minute. Beat in egg white. Stop the mixer.
- Add the flour mixture. Beat on low speed just until incorporated.
- Gather the dough together with your hands and form it into a neat 9 to 10-inch log. Wrap in waxed paper. Fold or twist ends of paper without pinching or flatting the log. Chill about 1 hour.
- Place oven racks in the upper and lower third of the oven preheat to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Use a sharp knife to slice rounds of chilled dough a scant 1/4-inch thick. Place 1-inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 12 to 14 minutes.
- Rotate baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back about halfway through.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled, sprinkle red or other festive colored sugar sprinkles atop the cookies and SERVE!!!
|Loads of Holiday COOKIESSS!!|